Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Tweet Fiction: Cruising Cursed

     The sun was just peaking out behind a scattering of clouds that looked like the softest pillows that could ever be. A light blue sky stretched all the way to the horizon, providing the perfect backdrop for the scene. It was warm out, but not in a way that would cause one to sweat, and the heat was accompanied by an occasional cool breeze to keep the air from becoming too stagnant. The waters were calm, allowing the cruise ship to cut through the water easily, providing a smooth ride for the few hundred passengers aboard, each excited to finally be setting off. Add in to the fact that there isn't a single thing that I'm obligated to do and you've create the perfect environment for a vacation full of relaxation and recovery. 

     It would have been perfect my stomach wasn't constantly turning at the thought of what I needed to do today. I was cursed, you see. I did not immediately believe the old spinster of a woman, who apparently felt I was the worst human in existence for dropping a handful of change in what I thought was a beggar's cup. The splash and foul language that followed informed me that it was merely a cup of coffee. However, the misfortune that had come my way since then could not be explained away.

     I've lost my job, nearly lost my house and car, my wife is staying with her sister a few towns over all because I tried to help someone who I thought was in need and was mistaken. It just wasn't fair! I've always tried to do well by people. Offering to pay for drinks, holding doors if they're carrying heavy things, letting people merge, and offering those than less fortunate myself whatever pocket change I had. But one mistake and suddenly I deserve to have everything ripped from me?

     Karma is a bunch of bullshit if you ask me.

     When this old bitch cursed me, she said that the only way for the curse to be removed was for me to create misfortune greater than what I had encountered for another. A coldness spread through my veins as I recalled what needed to be done. I couldn't take this curse anymore. I've done so many good things and will continue to do them in the future. I deserve to be free!

     That thought repeated in his head as he began to make his way over to a group of his shipmates who had gathered against one of the lower railings near the front of the ship, all trying to get a good shot at the ancient ships that were lined up along the bay for some sort of show. 

      As I began to approach the crowd, my heart began to beat hard enough to hurt. It was punishing me for what I was planning. Knowing that I should be the one to bear this curse, not push it off to another. But no, I've already lost so much. So much that I didn't deserve to lose. There was so much good I've done, but everything was being taken away. It had to be done.

     There was cheering and excitement all around me, but all I felt as though I was surrounded by a cold air of dread. Once I was within reach of the group, I tripped. Well, that's what I wanted it to look like at least. In doing so I plowed into the outer line of the group, pushing them hard against those who were already leaning high up on the railing with cameras and selfie sticks in hand.

      I don't know what I expected to hear when someone went overboard, but it wasn't silence. I had stumbled away quickly to remove myself from the scene, so I didn't get a chance to see what my push caused, but silence was all I got in response. My heart stopped as I waited, hoping against hope that it would be that easy and I would be free.

     Then the screams started and I could feel a dense weight dissipate off of my body. The cold dread was gone, replaced by the amazing warmth of Miami. The tension and stress that had been building up for the past few weeks had all released at once, nearly causing me to crash to the floor in a puddle.

     I continued to walk away, using the panic as cover to remove myself from the scene completely. A smile slipped on my face, even though I felt a pain deep in my heart for what I had done. But now my vacation can finally begin. 




Flash Edit:  


   Blue skies, warm climate, and a cool breeze. Perfect for relaxing and letting all stress float away, but I could not relax. Not yet at least, because of the curse. I didn't believe it at first, but the number of unfortunate events I've encountered since could not be explained away. 

    A wave of dread passed over me, a reminder. To be free, I needed to pass it on to another. I needed to be free. That thought repeated in my mind as I made my way towards a group leaning high on the railings. 

    Accidents happen all the time, right?



Original Tweet:                (source)


    Free time and open skies for days, but he  could not relax. The curse needed to be passed on to another, and he knew what needed to be done.


No comments:

Post a Comment